We all love spending tons of time with family during the holidays, but it’s easy to go a little crazy cooped up with the lot of them when holiday fever’s in full swing. To blow off some steam, nothing works better than pulling a Christmas prank or two.
These parents staged some of the funniest practical jokes ever. Some pranks were groan-inducing, while others could’ve only been dreamed up by true Grinches of the holiday season. Either way, these moms and dads show that sometimes the best Christmas elves are actually trolls…
1. These parents found a creative use for some clothes their kids grew out of: they built a child-eating snowman! It’s a pretty scary sight, which could come in handy for keeping away any unwanted guests on Christmas Day.
2. Be careful what you wish for! If only this kid had enunciated a bit more clearly that he wanted an Xbox 360, he might’ve wound up with an actual video game console. At least he’s got the ingredients to cook a nice holiday brunch.
3. Judging by the size of her stocking, Rosie has been extra good this year. She’s bound to get ten times the amount of gifts of anyone else in her family! Alternatively, maybe she just has really big feet?
4. Who says you shouldn’t play with your food? This hilarious dad livened up a holiday meal by getting creative with some food scraps. He stuck a few strawberry tops on his face and asked his kids if he had an acne problem.
Twitter / Samantha Smith
5. On occasion, even good parents can be straight-up evil. This young girl gladly accepted a Fanta from her mom, but didn’t think that there might be something else inside. Regular apple juice would be cruel enough, but this mom used light apple juice. The horror!
Reddit / Fannie1157
6. This kid went online to tell everyone what happens when your grandparents don’t understand what you want for Christmas. However, we suspect they knew exactly what an iPad was, and just couldn’t resist the pun.
7. It’s normal to put aside your diet during the holidays, right? When this woman’s daughter requested a “surprise snack,” she made sure she stuck to the food pyramid by stuffing this cookie bag with nothing but broccoli. Surprise!
Reddit / Skunkdrunkpunk
8. This girl got invited to a holiday ball with her boyfriend, but her dad felt a little bit left out. He didn’t get to attend the dance, but at least he made a cameo appearance in their photos. Just look at that happy smile!
Reddit / MommyDearest30
9. Just about everyone has trouble falling asleep on Christmas Eve. To make it even harder for a guest, this family snuck a giant gingerbread monstrosity under the covers. Once they turned the lights on, you can bet it was a scare big enough to keep them awake all night.
Instagram / LucyBishop2012
10. This guy’s grandma really digs his sense of humor, so she bought him a toilet mug she knew he’d be all over. She figured the gag gift would work because “it looks like poop, and I know you think that’s funny.” Spot on, granny!
Imgur / mordibala
11. Once again, parents will stop at nothing to get kids to eat their vegetables. These devious adults hid Brussels sprouts inside delicious Ferrero Rocher wrappers. Even if you ethnically don’t agree with this trick, you have to admire the attention to detail!
Instagram / melborsato
12. If your child asks for something too expensive, you can always just settle for a pun instead. One mom chose to skip the pricy headphones her daughter wanted an instead gift her “Beets by Dre.”
Twitter / Rick Slusher
13. For a personal gift, nothing tops a nice photograph. However, this mom upstaged her teenage son’s photo with a frame featuring Disney princesses. When he asked her why she gave him the photograph like this, his mom told him it was the only frame available.
14. Lots of us are bad at wrapping presents, but this guy is bad to the bone. Before his sister can enjoy her special Christmas gift, she’ll have to cut through a criss-crossed layer of zip ties. Hopefully another relative gave her a pair of scissors!
Instagram / redbankplaza
15. This little girl asked for nothing but Frozen gifts for Christmas. As you would expect, she was none too pleased when she received a bag of frozen peas. She was able to “Let It Go” in the end, as she opened up plenty of other great presents.
16. When a 27-year-old returned home for the holidays, he never expected to see his childhood superhero sheets laid out for him. His mom definitely found it hilarious, however, plus superheroes are super-in these days.
17. If you were impressed by the last iPad pun, then you’ll love this dad joke: One mischievous father put his extraordinary arts and crafts skills to create this prank gift for his daughter. At least she thought it was funny enough to pose for a picture.
18. Never underestimate the devotion of a grandparent. When one guy joked with his grandma that he wanted 100 different items from the dollar store for Christmas, she delivered. The cost of wrapping paper had to be even higher than that of the gifts.
Reddit / AceWayne4
19. Baked goods are a must around the holidays. Most of the time, we exchange them to show other people that we care, but these parents gave their son a cake to get him to find his own place. There’s no room at the inn for you, Keith!
20. Some pranks are crueler than others. For the kids who came across this gift-wrapped toilet, we can only hope they didn’t find it during a bathroom emergency. To add insult to injury, the Elf on the Shelf is also there to watch them unwrap it in agony.
21. For every successful parent prank, however, there are plenty of parent fails around the holidays. As you can tell from this envelope, one well-meaning mother didn’t quite get how Secret Santa works. Better luck next year!
Reddit / proxima